The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) was signed into law in 2011, enabling the FDA to focus on the prevention of food safety issues. Because of this, there is an increasing focus on supply chain logistics, including traceability and blockchain management systems.
One of the most important aspects of processing perishable foods is the ability to control the temperature. That’s where PermaTherm’s panels become an important factor, whether in field-storage, transportation, large-scale processing, and/or subsequent distribution and storage.
Speed and freshness to market are the keys to brand success and food safety advocated by the Produce Marketing Association (PMA) and the United Fresh Produce Association (UFPA). This includes optimization of cool-temperature control from minutes of picking, through transportation, to arrival at fresh produce processing plants, and subsequent distribution and storage. Each fruit or veggie likely requires different value-chains and increasingly different traceability.
PermaTherm Insulated Panel designs can support virtually any process within the fruit or vegetable value chain including:
- Bagged Salads: Bagged salad plants represent a complex chain as they have to deliver ready-to-eat (RTE) meals to the end consumer. The entire plant is a low-temperature facility where workers chop, blend, bag, and ship gourmet salads with the included spices and dressings. The entire process requires controlled environments which may include varying temperatures, UV, visible lighting enhancements, high humidity, sprays, and so on. There must be no condensation on panel walls to ensure that no moisture infiltrates products, which would lead to contamination or spoilage.
- Onions: Minimal refrigeration is needed, and they can even be housed in cool, dry rooms.
- Strawberries: They are delicate and need a different series of protocols.
- Mushrooms: Facilities that grow mushrooms are highly acidic and exceptionally humid.
- Freezing and blast freezing: Freezers are also needed in vegetable processing to achieve “ready-to-cook.”
- Cooking and/or curing rooms as necessary.
PermaTherm has been supplying insulated panel solutions to every sub-segment of the produce production market for many years. We can provide varied panel surfaces to support different temperatures, conditions, lighting, abrasion, and more.